Friday, March 17, 2017

Grayson's Birth Story Part 3

The nurse came in and Jarrod informed her that I was having pushing urges.  She said okay, that the Dr. would be in shortly but they wanted to get me back on the monitor for a bit.  So back into bed I went.  The pushing urges went away but the pressure remained the same.  I sat up as far as was comfortable.  Through a contraction Megan would take my right hand and stroke it while encouraging me and Jarrod would take my left hand and lean in next to me so I could rest my forehead into his shoulder and cheek to his cheek.  I don't know how to describe it but it felt like as long as he was right there, I could pull from his strength because mine was gone.  In between contractions I would lay my head against a mound of pillows that were propped up and rest.  Music was playing in the background and around this point I distinctly remember "I Shall Not Want" coming on and hearing her sing "Deliver Me Oh God".  It was soothing and a great reminder that He would help me.   I was sitting there thinking, "God, please help me deliver this baby.  I need help.  I'm so done."  And I found out later that Jarrod was standing there thinking, "Is this song actually encouraging during labor?"  HAHA!

The Doctor came in around 9:30 and told us that my midwife was hoping to be able to stay but couldn't and that she would be taking over for her.  She's from the practice I go to and she's an excellent doctor.  I felt comfortable with her which was a blessing.  She checked me and I was at 7cm.  7.  It felt like I had been working through contractions for FOREVER and I was only at 7.  And what was with the pushing urges at 7cm?!  That has never happened to me before and because of the pushing urges I thought for sure I was father along.  Disheartened is not a strong enough word to describe how I was feeling right then.  The Dr. offered to break my water and I decided to have her do it.  I knew it would make the contractions even more intense but it was possible that was what was causing less pressure and in turn, helping me get to 10cm.

Contractions did pick up in intensity.  Wave after wave every 2 minutes and fresh intensity to them.  Pushing urges started up again and I was finding it hard to resist the urge to push.  Breathing, panting and sheer will just wasn't working past the first urge throughout a contraction.  The nurse came back in and checked me.  8cm.  I would guess it was around 10am right then.  I still was having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I wasn't 9-10cm and I was having such strong pushing urges.  It wasn't making sense and in my head it felt like it was going to take hours to get to 10 and I was going to be worn out by then.  Encouragement was still pouring in from Abby and Liz (Jarrod would read me the texts between contractions) and Megan and Jarrod were telling me how well I was doing even though I felt like I was miserably failing.  Strong contraction.  Push!  Don't Push!   And then I would push after holding back for the first urge.  

The Dr came in again and checked me at 10:15am.  She told me I was at 9cm and she thought with the next contraction she would let me push.  She thought that maybe I was at 10cm while contracting and then the pressure eased up a bit and it went to 9.  But through the next contraction she would check me and find out for sure.

Whew.  I have the okay to push.  I don't have to fight through these urges anymore!  

This is where it got crazy and a little chaotic.  And looking back on it we laugh hysterically but in the moment, no one was laughing!

This next contraction came on more slowly than the others.  It wasn't 2 minutes in between, more like 4 minutes.  And then I felt it coming on.  Wow.  Intense.  Hard.  Strong.
The Dr. turned around to grab a packet of gloves.  I sat up and grabbed Megan and Jarrod's hands and pushed.  Like-gave it my all.  Finally got the green light and I wasn't able to stop.  About 5 seconds into pushing I realized, "Oh.  Oh.  That hurts.  That really burns.  THE BABY IS CROWNING."  The Dr. turned back around while trying to get the packet open, saw the baby crowning, couldn't get the gloves open and tossed them at the nurse while rushing over to grab the sheet and the baby's head.  Through all this I am pushing without stopping as I just.couldn't.stop.  I heard the nurse and Dr calling out, "Can't get this open" "head is crowning" "slow down".
"I can't stop, I'm sorry." was what I responded with which was at a higher octave than I normally speak at.  Jarrod turned to me and said, "It's the head!"
In my mind it sounded like he also was trying to tell me to stop and I growled/yelled back, "I KNOW IT'S THE HEAD!!!"  (little backstory, I've always wanted to hear when the head was there because it was progress.  Now, obviously I know when the baby is crowning but hearing that people see the head encourages me.  So Jarrod always makes sure to tell me when he can see the head!  Also, I've never yelled at him during labor, I'm more of a "bear the pain in silence and focus" so he wasn't sure what to do!  Which we laugh at now!)
The nurse shoved a glove on the Dr's hand and I heard her say something about "let me help rotate the shoulders" as I was pushing.  "Get her legs up" And then I had not only the nurse helping but also Jarrod and Megan helping.  I was actually lifted off the bed for a second!  ......and the baby slipped right out after I was elevated up.  One push.  I didn't even know that could happen.  But apparently once I was given the okay to push, I wasn't going to stop! (The Dr. later told me that she hadn't seen something like that.  9cm, pushed for literally one minute and the baby was completely out.  She said it was like my womb just opened up suddenly!)
Jarrod turned to me half laughing and half crying, "It's a boy!  It's a BOY babe!"  The baby was handed right to me and I was also laughing and crying and couldn't seem to stop saying, "It's a boy!  Oh, Jadon will be so happy!  He has a brother!"  I really do love the surprise of not knowing what the gender is until this moment!


 Seconds later they helped me remove my gown and get the baby skin to skin.  He was pretty blue when he was born but literally 30 seconds after being placed on me he pinked right up!
The Doctor took care of things with me and the nurses tossed blankets over the baby and I.  They were excellent at just letting the baby stay with me and bond.  No weight, no taking him away to check his length, just some amazing bonding time.



After an hour, Jarrod got a turn snuggling his newest boy!

He's a pro at this baby stuff by now!

And Megan got a turn!



Grayson Luke Persun, weighing 8lbs 6 ozs, 20 1/4" long!  8 hours of active labor and 16 hours of early labor.
We prayed for a healthy baby and a labor with no complications.  We prayed for the right nurses and the right doctors.  We prayed for wisdom for us if decisions needed to be made.  We prayed for an easy recovery for me.
And God answered and gave us all of those!  (I did pray for a super easy/fast labor but He decided no for that one ;)  )
I also couldn't have done it without Jarrod and Megan there.  They knew what I needed and helped me through another intense labor!


Mom arrived shortly after and helped us move to the postpartum room and got to snuggle her newest grandson!




The kids all instantly LOVED their baby brother!

Our littlest love.  We are so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment